Happy Holidays and Merry Merry!
Things are pretty quiet in the office so we decided that one person gets to go home early every day; did I mention I work with awesome folks. So this Friday I get to have an extra two hours to myself before the sun goes down. I am really looking forward to it, although I'm not sure I'll know what to do in daylight hours.
The air is finally crisp and Christmas music is on every station. The lights are on the trees and houses.
I wish you all a very merry as I sign off for the year. I think I am going to retreat into my hidey hole for the next couple of weeks and concentrate on starting the new year healthy and with happiness in my heart. I hope that the holidays bring you lots of cheer and some quiet time with your loved ones. Take this time to tell them how much you love them.
Be well and spread the cheer!
Although I didn't finish my days of thanks, I am thankful for a lot this year. Truthfully the list was hard for me. Especially the last couple of weeks when it felt like everything was going just a little bit wrong, it was hard to feel thankful. Then today I wake up next to my partner and we are able to smile and laugh and love and I am preparing to feed my family and friends and I can't help but be thankful for all that I have. I will put a smile on my face today and take the sad moments with the happy ones and be thankful for all that is before me.
Love you all and wishing you a super happy and thank filled day.
Thanks part 3
- I am constantly surprised that he can sense my vibe and try to counter it or make it better, or sometimes do nothing at all because he knows that I don’t even want to acknowledge it.
- I am thankful that he is taking my car to get serviced because he knows that it is something that I HATE to do.
- I am thankful that he is handy and can get stuff done around the house; even if it takes a little longer, it is nice that he does it. ;)
- I am most thankful that he likes to debate with me. We are not on opposite ends politically, but we definitely have differing views and like to spend time defending them.
- I am also thankful that pretty much he lets me do what I want. We’ve been together long enough that jealousy is a thing of the past and we don’t feel like we have to be together every minute of every day. But I miss him a lot too.
What's in a name?
There are also a whole group of people that insist on shortening it to Stef. What's up with that? I had someone ask me my name once and I replied "Stefania", he then asked, "What can I call you?"... and I replied, "Stefania." He didn't think that was funny and insisted that I had a nickname that he could use.
Growing up they called me Stefy. After high school I made a super conscious effort to make sure everyone called me by my full name and it generally worked, except of course for that really obnoxious group that decide to call me whatever they want.
When my nephew was old enough to start talking my name became Zia Fania. Can't blame the kid, Zia Stefania is a lot to say much less remember. So within my family and close friend I can sometimes be called Fania (Zia is the Italian word for Aunt).
My job has always included customers, clients, parents, students; basically lots of talking on the phone and other various forms of correspondence, and people misunderstanding my name. I think it grates me the most when I send an email signed Stefania and I get a response "Dear Stephanie," as if they realized that I spelled my own name wrong and they want me to realize it as well. Over the phone I've gotten Stephanie, Stefan, Zavania, Stefanya, Stefaneea (pronounced with a heavy -nee), and Tanya. Once a really truly long time ago (first job out of college, and I can't believe I'm telling this story) I was answering the phone for Matel Interactive as a customer service representative and the person on the other end of the phone heard my name as Lasagna.
30 days of thanks - in parts.
- Mom- Thank you for being there for me day in and day out. You are my blueprint for life.
- Sube- Thank you for letting me call you that even though neither of us could probably pinpoint why. You are a role model to me in every way; you’re an amazing mother, business woman, sister, wife and friend. I aspire to be like you everyday.
- Family- In this past year you have risen up and shown me how lucky I am to be a part of this family. As women we take care of each other in good and bad and for that I am thankful.
- Heather you get a category all your own. Never before have I had a friend like you. I can’t even begin to describe the magnitude of our friendship and what it means to me; thank you for being my bestie.
- To the rest of my amazing, beautiful, courageous, intelligent, talented, loving, inspiring, awesome, awe-inspiring, caring, blogging, adventure seeking, smart, witty women in my life; Thank you for being a friend.
30 days of Thanks
- This week I was super thankful for not having lost power. It really brings perspective when you drive around and see huge trees that have fallen from one snowstorm, and you hear about people still not having power after a week. Whao.
- I am thankful for my job. 1) that I have one 2) that the people I work with and 3) the opportunities that this job offers me.
- I am thankful for my health.
- Also this past week I was thankful for the technology that kept in contact with my family and friends, knowing that everyone was ok.
- I am thankful that the state of CT recognizes same sex marriage and allowed two very special people to have a really amazing ceremony to show their love.
Let's start with the gorgeous Friday we had last week. It was a beautiful day, especially because I left the office at noon to head over to carve pumpkins for my friends wedding the next day. It was around that time that they were predicting a terrible October storm. Yeah right. I surely didn't believe that we were going to be getting the 6-10 inches that they were predicting.
Saturday it started snowing at about noonish even though they predicted that it wouldn't start until 4 or 5 pm. Hubby and I were getting ready to head to the costume party/wedding of the century during the storm of the century. Nothing was gonna stop us from that wedding and nothing did. There were already branches down by the time we got there around 5:30pm, but still I didn't believe that it would get much worse. Boy was I wrong.
We didn't care much about the snow coming down outside because we were having a great time at the wedding. I couldn't get over the creative costumes; everyone from PeeWee Herman and Ms. Yvonne to Edward Scissorhands was there. There were pirates, evile clowns, cowboys, Kermit and Miss Piggy. Wow. Everyone had a great time and the wedding was so beautiful. There were blessings and songs and readings. Best part is that two of the most wonderful humans on earth are married and I was there to witness it. Makes me proud to be in state that recognizes same sex marriage.
Around 11:30 we decided to brave the weather and head home. We danced, we drank (not a lot considering the drive home) and now it was time to get going. We got to the car and headed right out into the night. It was still near white out conditions as we drove and there were lines and trees down everywhere. We go about 1/3 of the way home and hubby realized that he dropped his glasses in the parking lot and we had to head back. I was so glad that we were able to find them in the already 6 inches of slushy snow.
We made our way slowly home and were discouraged by the street after street of darkness. There were trees down, streets blocked and the snow was still coming down so hard. We got about 3/4 of a mile from home and could see the light at the corner of our street shining like a beacon in the night. We had power and could not believe our luck. We were howling with happiness. Once inside and still hyped up from the ride home we decided to switch on the boob tube and try to catch some weather or news. To our dismay the cable was out.
We spent all day Sunday clearing the drive and walk ways and being so happy that we never lost power. After listening to the radio we realized the extent of the power outages and literal devastation to the area. We hopped in the car and saw some of our neighboring streets and realized how lucky we really were.
We lived without cable/ internet and phone for the past 3 days and couldn't care less considering we had heat and hot water and power. The cable just came on and is allowing me to tell you all this.
Hubby has no school until Monday and I was closed til tomorrow. Whoa, what a storm.
9 years ago today we promised to love, in sickness and in health and in good times and bad. I can say that we have experienced it all and mostly this year. I loved you then, since, and more with every tomorrow.
Thank you for being the husband that makes me laugh and comforts me when I get a B- on an exam. Thank you for understanding and not eating my secret stash of dark chocolate covered caramels and pretending not to know where they are. Mostly thank you for knowing exactly how I feel and letting me tell you anyway.
I love you, I love our house, I love our bets and that you let me win so I can plan our dates.
I love that we are always on the same page and have the same hopes and dreams. I can't wait to live them all out, one by one.
Today was the AIDS walk Hartford at the Reservoir. The madhatters were back in style. H has made us awesome hats every year that we have walked, this year no less! We all looked grreat and were complimented all along the walk. If it wasn't for this impatient polar bear we might have walked with the rest of the group and not in the opposite direction! heehee But as always we made our mark and cheered as we passed all the groups trying to get them revved up. Fun as always.
Hope you enjoyed today as much as I did.
ps. I had to take this picture at home cuz I forgot the camera. But as a group we looked so awesome. We had a panda bear, monkey, lion, dog, frog, cow and a penguin.
the leaves will start to change and drop from the trees.
I will wear sweat shirts and socks and sneakers with my jeans.
We will celebrate 9 years of marriage.
We will watch the sun set earlier every night.
The pumpkins will come out and dot the night with light.
"The holidays are right around the corner" everyone will say, and they will be right.
Every weekend is busy with friends and family. Apple picking, harvest fest and a wedding to look forward to.
School is well under way, with studying and exams and classes every week.
This is one of my favorite months.
What have you got going on?
Come on people... I know that we are all in a rush and red lights always seem to come at the worst times and yes, when you are running late it feels like every light is red. But, red is red people, and red means stop.
The weekend has been really beautiful and I've been getting out as much as possible. Went for a walk with hubby yesterday, met a friend for some shopping and today will clean the house and cook for the coming week.
Hope you had a great weekend too.
Back to work
Late last week hubby got a gig on Governors Island near Battery Park in Manhattan. Before we were married (9 years this fall) I joined him at a gig in Bridgeport, hated it and decided that this was something he could do alone. But this time it sounded like fun. It was called Rock the Bells, and was headlining some of my faves from back in the day... Cypress Hill, Erykah Badu and Ms. Lauryn Hill. Needless to say it was also going to include a trip to the city and I rarely wanna miss that. We stayed in a super swanky hotel in SoHo and got to have dinner, together, alone before the madness of the concert began. Madness it was, and fun, and tiring, and dusty. The only thing I will say is that Governors Island is really beautiful and the bells were truly rocked. Before we returned on Sunday we got to have brunch with our fave NY couple Adam and Meredith. Delish and nice to catch up.
Although the trip was short and was mostly spent working, it was nice to have one last jaunt before getting down to real business. We are both back to work and I will start class again next week. It's been a really rainy week and that has been just fine because it matches my and hubby's mood. Looking forward to sunny skies.
On Tuesday of last week the East Coast felt the strongest earthquake since 1944. The center was in VA and tremors were felt all over the east coast. My hubby and I were both home and neither one of us felt anything. My mom was at an appointment at the hospital and felt it very strongly and was really nervous when the offices were evacuated.
This weekend was hurricane Irene. They had been talking about this hurricane all week and I was pretty sure that we wouldn't get much. We usually don't and I was hopeful that history would prove me right. My bestie and her hubby live near the shore and were nervous about the thought of an evacuation. Since we had double date plans for Saturday anyway they decided to bring an overnight bag and their dog "just in case." We started the weekend out in our brand new wellies that my bestie bought us to round out our hurricane preparations. Mine are purple and I luv em!
Saturday afternoon we went started out at the local burger joint for some nourishment before the movie. The movie was so supremely not great that I won't even tell you which one we saw. We were there with 2 other people. I was so SURE that the movie theater would be packed considering the rainy day and that Irene wasn't supposed to come for hours yet. The theater was deserted. Mental note for the next hurricane. We all went to bed Saturday night anticipating the worst according to the news.
Sunday we woke up (I was the last to get up) to some heavy rains and winds. We still had power, thank goodness (coffee maker needs power). I made a yummy breakfast of ham and cheesy eggs and my bestie made a super yummy tomatillo salsa. Very tasty. We love to cook when we are together. We spent the rest of the morning watching the weather station and anticipating the storm. The rain was heavy and the winds were strong; just not hurricane strong. For lunch we went all out and made homemade tortillas, steak, baramundi for tacos, couscous and more yummy tomatillo salsa. Yup I said homemade tortillas... DELICIOUS. For dessert I made banana bread from scratch and we topped it with caramel ice cream.
The winds died down, the rain stopped and Irene passed. We never lost power, our property sustained very minimal damage and we were all safe and stuffed.
You definitely want to get stuck with me and my bestie in a storm. Hope you are all safe!
Having said that I have always been obsessed with my own journey and what path to take and what implications that would have. There aren't a lot of decisions at this specific point in my journey, but never before have I been so anxious to see what is next.
I am so grateful for my hubby who lets me be as emotional as I need to be, who understands that every minute is a different obstacle and who pushes me to be as strong as he knows that I can be (even in the moments when I don't feel so).
I am blessed with a mother, mother-in-law and sister that stand by me, cry with me and hold me up. Everyday there is love, courage and strength.
Daily there is a pile of cards that come in the mail to offer hubby and me sympathy and strength in this tough time that we are going through. We are humbled at the love that we have been shown.
I don't know where this journey will lead us but in my heart I know my daughter will light the way.
Yesterday we put her in the ground with my father to watch over her. She was so little. There are no words to make this better. I am praying that time can heal this wound.
My husband held her and told her of the love that we have for her. He whispered her name Luciana Fiona Campbell to her and stayed with her until the last moments.
I thank you all for the love and flowers and cards. Every little thing helps us to get a little stronger.
Two things you're wearing now:
2. flip flops
What are 2 of your favorite things to do:
2. dinner with friends
Two things you want very badly at the moment:
1. to have all the laundry and cleaning done
2. to take a nap
Two things you did yesterday:
1. grocery shopped
Two things you ate yesterday:
1. leftover ice cream cake
2. leftover pizza
Two people you last talked to:
1. My mother
2. My sister
Two things you are doing tomorrow:
2. Water aerobics
Two favorite holidays:
1. Valentine's Day
Two favorite beverages:
2. Red Wine (obvs not lately)
Two people no longer alive that you'd like to talk to:
1. my Dad
2. my nonna
Just thought it would be fun to do some of these old questionnaires.
Here is another:(got this one from here)
Tell me about the shirt you’re wearing?
It's one of my maternity shirts that I love the most. It is purple and kinda striped. VERY COMFY.
What’s currently bothering you?
Being stuck here.
What do you currently hear?
Listening to Pandora. Great station with all my favs... currently Madonna.
When was the last time you had your hair cut?
Funny that you ask... can't remember so I'm going in for a trim tomorrow.
When were you last outside?
This morning when I got to work at 8am. I wanted to go out at lunch but last time I did that and sat on a bench outside my office reading for a bit I came in with ticks. Yuck. Not doing that again.
Are you wearing shorts?
Well, it depends if gauchos can be considered shorts. I don't think so...
Does the thought of marriage scare you?
What did you do today?
I've been at work all day... working on this during my lunch... yeah...
Look to your left, what is there?
My office phone, that hasn't rang more than 4 times today.... just sayin.
What time did you go to sleep last night?
I got into bed at 10 and read and chatted with hubby for a bit.
When is your Birthday?
The way to win your heart?
Just be genuine and real.
What are you going to do this weekend?
Tomorrow is Extravaganza and that means cook out. Come over if you want.
Were you happy when you woke up today?
I guess, I was on my way to work.
Have you ever crawled through a window?
I think so. Vaguely remember that...
Would you ever donate blood?
I’ve tried and passed out. Never tried again. Not a fan of passing out.
Has anyone ever mistaken you for a family member?
Do you have reason to smile right now?
Yes, I am growing a baby girl and will get to meet her in less than 2 months.
What do you do when you’re stressed out?
Cry, pick a fight with hubby, become very quiet and introverted.
Would you honestly say you’d risk your life for someone else?
Do you open up to people easily?
Sometimes. I like to meet people and be open but the secrets are kept close to the vest.
Has anyone upset you in the last week?
Yes. Probably. Most likely my husband.
What is the last pill you swallowed?
Prenatal vitamin this morning.
What was the first thing you thought this morning?
Who do you blame for your bad mood today?
I’m not in a bad mood
Where is the person you like right now?
He's home... hopefully getting stuff done.
What was the first thing you did this morning?
Took a shower.
Do you care of what people think of you?
Probably more than I should.
Who was the last person you took a picture with?
At my baby shower this past Sunday I took a bunch of pics. I think the last one was a group pic with my sister and cousins. Very nostalgic.
What are you looking forward to right now?
It's 3:35 on a Friday afternoon in the middle of SUMMER.... I am dying to go home.
Do you miss someone?
Not any one person in particular.
Does your crush like you?
If you could go back in time and change something would you?
Do you hate smokers?
Nope. I hate the smoke.
Ever had a near death experience?
I almost drowned once as a 5 year old. I have vague memories of it but still love the ocean and love to swim.
Something you do a lot?
I twirl my hair and play with it ... A LOT!
Last person you cried in front of?
I'm sure it wasn't long ago... maybe a day or two at most.
Have you ever been to a tanning bed?
Yes. Once. Got a bad rash and never went back.
Does anyone hate you for no reason?
I'm sure there are haters out there.
Have you ever kissed someone whose name starts with the letter J?
What are you stressed out about?
A lot of different things... hmmm probably the child care thing the most.
What was your favorite grade?
Gosh I think I hated them all equally until I got to college.
When is the next time you’ll see your best friend(s)?
I get to see a lot of them tomorrow at EXTRAVAGANZA.
Ever been in love?
Are you wearing make-up?
Totally forgot this morning. I look scary.
What were you doing at 11:30 last night?
Sleeping and probably tossing and turning.
What’s the last thing you said and to who?I just said to have a great weekend to my coworker. She just left.
Do you sleep on your stomach?
I used to. Now I try my hardest to sleep on my side.
What do you hear?
Still listening to a great Pandora station. This this seems a little redundant.
Are you ticklish?
Yes, some would say on the inside too.
Last time you saw fireworks, with who & where?
Probably at last year's Extravaganza... yay.
He answered,"I'm happy." So then I was grinning too.
This past weekend was my first baby shower and it was the epitome of happy for me. My mother and sister and her family literally showered me with so much love I was overcome with emotion the whole day. My sister's husband and kids spent the whole weekend preparing the house for the celebration. When I came down right before the guests arrived there were flowers, balloons and rubber duckies everywhere. They did so much work and it mean so much to me. I am overcome with emotion just writing this (but I guess that doesn't mean much considering I am 32 weeks preggo and spend a lot of time crying). I feel really lucky and happy and truly blessed.
I got to visit with friends and family that I haven't seen in a long time and we were celebrating the soon to be arrival of my daughter. We recalled stories of us growing up, everyone gave their advice on baby gear and 'get some sleep now'. Best of all was the collective oohs and aahs over the cute outfits. The best part was getting home and not really sure what I was gonna do with the million and one presents that were full to the brim in my car until my hubby pulled into the driveway two minutes behind me from being away for essentially two weeks. That was happiness.
The coming weeks are filled with visits and showers and friends and family and I am so happy. I'm so excited for this little lady and the family of love that she gets to enter into. She is already so loved.
hope you're having some happy too.
- Today is the first of July and truly feels like the beginning of Summer. I am so excited. I am shooting a wedding tomorrow and then nothing but work and preparing for this amazing addition to my life. Whoa!
- I got a B in that godforsaken class.... and I mad. Yup, I hated every minute of it, walked out of the final having not finished half of it and am mad that I got a B.
- The office is eerily quiet today. I've been immersed in bad internet and now writing this post.
- I have experienced that for some people seeing a pregnant woman brings out the worst in them. They feel compelled to say things like, "you don't look bad at all" and "getting big huh?" Even the doctor gets in on it and says things like (after putting his hands on my 30 week along belly), "you're pregnant!" I'm still on the fence about the comments (that are supposed to be positive)... "gosh you don't even really look pregnant", is that supposed to mean that all these years that I have been looking pregnant and no one told me? My absolute favorite was said to a colleague that was pregnant, "OMG look at how freaking big you are!" and "They should give her the end seat because she needs all the room she can get" Dang! That has GOT to be the worst. My rule of thumb is and always will be to not comment on anything that I would not want to hear myself, unless it is your very best friend/ sister and she asks you for your complete honest opinion. ... Actually, even then on second thought, tell her she looks great!
- I'm hungry. Seems like all the time.
- People are calling me "mom" and I don't realize they are talking to me.
- I am planning on spending some time with my sister and her family this weekend and I am giddy about it. I haven't seen them since Memorial Day and I MISS them tons. Her new house has an in ground pool and I plan on floating my way through the 4th.
- When we moved in to my childhood house growing up it had an above ground pool. I have ALWAYS been attracted to water and LOVED to swim and spend time in the ocean. That first year in our new house we had a tough time stabilizing the water, so most of that summer it was a deep swamp like green color. I didn't care one bit and spent every day of that summer swimming and floating and loving every minute of it. I'm surprised that my hair didn't turn green or my skin for that matter. In the end my mom bought a bunch of bleach and poured it in and that was what fixed it.
June has also been my month of Friday's off... and darnitall if it is not going to be the hardest thing ever to go back to 5 day weeks. I really think that I was meant to only work 4 days a week. I am a happier more productive worker bee and a happier and more productive wife. I tell you I see this at some point again in my future. Probably not immediate future but a future life FOR SURE.
June has also been shaping up to be the "OHMYGOD WE ARE HAVING A BABY" month. Everything from nursery stuff to daycare to changing the house around to maternity leave to pediatricians, to my belly is getting HUGE (not really)... okay, deep breath. But for real peeps, I am having small freak outs on the regular. And so is the hubster. We remind ourselves that this is normal and that we are super excited to be starting a family, but in the middle of the night when you wake up and you can't stop thinking about it all, it is harder to stop and remember.
I just reread that bit and it makes me seem not so happy about this little one that I am growing and I assure that that is NOT the case. I am so freaking excited that I can't event tell you... or can I:
- On a daily, almost hourly, basis I am completely in awe of my belly and what is going on in there. I am by nature a very nervous person so I try to read all about what is happening on a weekly basis to my squirmy girl and I am completely in awe of what my body is doing right now.
- I love when she kicks me, it feels like she knows what I am thinking and we constantly have this private conversation going on. Sometimes it really tickles.
- I can't watch that pampers commercial or any of the baby programs without bawling my eyes out. I know that this is also due to the raging hormones that are surging through my body. But it is also the anticipation of meeting my daughter... yup said it DAUGHTER. Whoa.
- I whisper her name (or the one that we have picked at this moment) in my head all day long. I am trying it out in different situations to make sure that is the right one. Don't ask, I won't tell.
- I still can't believe that this is happening. When I walk by a mirror and catch a glimpse of my profile I am still surprised. My belly isn't big enough to see when I look down (partly because my boobs have still outgrown my belly, but that is another post for another day) and it isn't big enough to throw me off balance so I am not always aware of it. When she kicks me I stop and think... oh yeah...
- July will be my month of baby showers. I am excited to start to see the stuff that will belong to squirmy girl, but I am more excited to see all my friends and family and talk about being pregnant all the time and be overly excited. I try to hold it in the rest of the time. I don't want people to think I am crazy.
- Lastly although I am nervous as all get out I can't wait to be a mom and see hubster as a dad. I know that it will be hard but I am excited to meet her and help her learn and know her the best.
Yup, June is here, today. May was a blur, with something to do everyday.
- Birthing class
- Mother’s day
- Doctor’s appointments and ultrasound
- Commencement events and commencement on a super duper rainy soggy day
- Finished one class (got an A-) started another super intense gonna be done in 6 weeks class
- Began my month and a half of 4 day weeks (yay) (love it by the way)
- Saw Gem of the Ocean at HartfordStage; shout out to the amazing and talented director Hana Sharif!
- Surprised my sister for her 40th birthday; she was surprised and everyone had a great time
- Read the 549 page bookclub book, still don't know where I found time for that one!
- Had a really crazy not super fun Memorial day weekend (for another post) (other than the surprise party)
- Started a baby registry. whoa.
And here we are… June 1.
Oh the possibilities!
To my mom: who is by far the most amazing woman that I know. She is always there for me and when we are done chatting on the phone, she thanks me for calling and tells me how much she loves talking to me.
To my sister: who loves me unconditionally and shows me that every day. Every year I try to find the cards that says "Damn, how do you do it? And so that it looks so easy and so that your kids still love you?"
I'm not kidding when I say that I have a lot to live up to in the mom game.
I had a wonderful time today celebrating with my mom and sister and her family.
And then my husband treated me to the milkshake that I have been craving.
Thank you all and I hope that all the mothers out there are applauded and celebrated and loved and treasured today.
It was a wonderful Saturday too. The morning was kinda chilly but I was at a communion mass for my niece and nephew. Adorable. They did such a great job. Lunch at the Federal was amazing and the best part was visiting with friends and family that I haven't seen for a while.
This time of year is always busy and the next couple of weeks are no exception. At least the weather is getting warmer and it doesn't get dark until real late.
Not really much else to report... I'm 22 weeks along in this pregnancy and everything has been great so far. Haven't gained a lot of weight and not a lot to complain about. I did have a real pain in the ass last week but that has gotten alot better. Swimming will do wonders.
Hubby and I are taking a birthing class tomorrow night (yes, I know it seems early but they only offer this specific one once a month and the next two months don't work out...) so I'm looking forward to that... I think. Almost half of the conversations we have lately are about baby gear or baby situations... baby, baby, baby... so I ask you bloggie friends of the interweb! What say you? Anything you couldn't live without? Must haves? Total skips? Lay it on me!
If you don't want to leave a comment here, email me... or leave me your email and I will email you my addy.
I gotta tell you something...
We went for the targeted ultrasound this week and the baby is doing great. SHE is growing right on schedule and squirmed throughout the whole thing. SHE is beautiful!
My mother and mother in law were both there and loved every minute of it.
So did I!
Oh the places I've lived...
As I was driving around this afternoon I started to think about all the apartments and houses that I’ve lived in and what I loved about each of them. Don’t get me wrong; I love love love our house right now, but if I could add the bedroom from one apartment and the kitchen from another it might just be better than it could ever be.
When I was in college I moved into an apartment with three other gals. What fun! What a great apartment. 3 regular size bedrooms and one really tiny one; I really got the pick of the litter. If you ever spent any time in the triple deckers in Massachusetts you understand what I mean when I say I lived in the front room. It was all windows and fairly spacious. My bed was on the floor and filled up a cozy corner of the room. It was perfect for napping, doing homework, hanging out… what a great room. The apartment was pretty great too.
The year that I got married my hubby and I moved into my mom’s house; there was a great apartment on the 1st floor that was pretty perfect, not big but big enough. A few years later we bought the house and moved upstairs into the house that I grew up in. The kitchen in that house was awesome. Sliding doors onto a deck, marble tile floor, gas stove… everything about it was perfect. My favorite thing to do was to sit at that table in the sunshine and drink my morning coffee. If it was a nice day you could open the slider or sit on the deck. Ahhh… the memories.
During my junior year in college I studied abroad in Germany for a semester. I attended two separate programs and both times lived in really old renovated buildings. The first was a nunnery and the second and seminary. What an experience. My favorite by far was the second place. It was more of an apartment with a teeny kitchen and an even teenier bathroom. I shared the kitchen and bath with the guy across the hall. But my room was perfect. There was nothing spacious about it; a single bed, table, bookshelf and closet. I could barely turn around twice. The best part; the window! It took up a whole wall and opened like a door. It was amazing. Even better was that it looked out onto the courtyard. The seminary was shaped like a square donut. There were three floors and four wings. The interior was a courtyard with grass and benches and a place where we could light fires at night. The building was across the street from a river; but was much more like a park. There were walkways and benches; after dinner at night I would walk up and down the river. It was so calming to live near water.
What a fun trip down memory lane!
Hi... Still here
I was studying and catching up with life while I was gone.
I must have started three separate posts to let you know what was up with me and didn't finish one of them. Yup. That's just the way it is. Well you will be happy to know that I got a 90 on the exam; so time apart well spent.
- had dinner with some friends at our fave Greek neighborhood joint.
- had brunch with other friends at our fave Mexican joint in the rising star.
- had a successful event at school.
- called out sick one day at work to go to the chiropractor and basically to sleep.
- am preparing for the barrage of events that is yet to come.
- am counting the days till my vaca weekends start. I have a bunch of vaca days to use before I lose and there are 9 or so coming to me... woop woop.
- am two weeks away from finding out what this baby is.
- had lots of fun at book club tonight.
- am hoping that this weather starts to improve. Mama needs some walking time!!!
I would also like to take a moment to wish my hubby the happiest of birthdays. He is not really a huge birthday celebrater but I can't let the day pass (tomorrow) without some sort of shout out!
Love you babe! Happy Birthday!
Good night all!
We have Sprung Ahead people!!!
I started the weekend out with an 11 hour slumber so I was ready for last night. And even though we stayed up pretty late (10:30!) I was not daunted by the loss of sleep. I am ready for Spring! Bring it on!
The sun will set at 6:54pm! This week will be mild to warm weather. Yay! It's about time. I am going to try to walk at least 3 nights this week! Whoop woop!
I spent a beautiful Saturday with beautiful friends at Nature's Grocer. They celebrated their 3 year anniversary and showcased my beautiful friends' beautiful jewelry! JudyB Designs. Most of my jewelry is from her. As she experiments with her craft, her jewelry becomes more beautiful. NG is a great store with delicious food and lots of wonderful natural and organic stuff. I always love going there and never leave empty handed. Jenn visited with her Mom and baby M. What a treat! And I got to visit with the best Mama Al. Loved it. It was so nice to catch up and see her hubby and kids. What a gorgeous family. Ahh... it was a wonderful morning. Then I visited another good friend that just had a beautiful baby girl. Mama and baby and daddy are all doing well. Another awesome visit.
Today is all about going for a walk with hubby, enjoying some treats from my Worcester family and getting ready for the week. I have an exam looming and will be busy next Sunday. My busiest months are starting at work and so I'm a busy bee!
I hope you all had as amazing a weekend as I did and have a great week ahead.
* Just finished reading Brunonia Barry, Map of True Places. Great book. Her first book, The Lace Reader was good and this was even better.
* Sent Mom and Paul to see DivineRivalry at HartfordStage this week and they LOVED loved loved it. I believe that the play might have been written for Paul, considering his love of Renaissance art and politics.
* Things are really starting to ramp up at work and that is always exciting. Have three events between March 23 and April 12 and then the race to commencement begins. Wahoo.
* I'm through the first trimester and starting to get some energy and my appetite back. I still get tired in the afternoon and evening but it's getting better. I have a feeling that this next trimester will go quicker. And then ... race to the finish line.
* I got a prenatal yoga DVD at the library today and hope to fit it into my busy schedule. I am not a regular yogini but I feel the need to stretch and EVERYTHING I read says that yoga will help with labor and I'm all for anything that will help with labor.
* I am counting the hours until the end of Daylight Savings time... or is it the beginning? I'm such a dope about it. All I know is that longer days=happier me.
* I am craving fruit... all the time. Not the best season for it, I know.
* I have some vaca time that I HAVE to use by the end of June and that makes me so giddy!
Hope you have a great weekend.
I am a mess
And ya know what? It feels good.
Check ya later, gater!
Happy, happy, happy...
So... What now... I decree that it is time for a list.... a happy happy list.
* Last Thursday and Friday (my b-day) I took vaca days from work. It is overrated to work on your birthday and I will always try to take that day off. I got to do some super fun stuff. Dinner out both nights, coffee date with my fav mamma ali, lunch with photog pal Jenn, ichat with my other pal Jenn, surprise visit to Nolan and his Mom, walks in the warm sun, new license, millions of b-day wishes on facebook, and best of all sleeping in.
* Then Friday night we had some friends over for make your own fajita night= awesome.
* As if it couldn't get any better I got to spend Saturday chilling with my bestie H. We toured Target, bought awesome jeans for $12 and had pancakes for lunch.
* The rest of the weekend was spent babysitting and doing homework. Believe me it belongs on the happy happy list because I miss those kids and love love love them. My oldest nephew made the most delish chocolate chip cookies and we had pizza... I mean that alone makes it happy happy.
* I top that awesome weekend off with an amazing book club last night. Those ladies are the sweetest, smartest, sassiest, soulful ladies around.
So yes, once again, life is good. There are 19 days until the days are officially longer. Whoop!
Take it slow peeps.
I really gotta tell you something....
I've been writing the "I gotta tell you something" posts as a ruse and really all the while have only wanted to tell you one thing. I am a year older and also pregnant. Hubby and I are over the moon excited! We've been hoping to be blessed in the family way for awhile now, so excited isn't even the word for it.
I gotta tell you something....
It makes me smile, I'm so excited to tell you....
Last night as I drove home, the sun was out the whole time.
Yup. Spring is almost here.
Feels very apocalyptic no?
I'm home again today and trying to be productive but.. umm... well, I'm not.
I can't help but stay in my pj's and read and watch TV and just lounge!
Hope you're all enjoying this storm if you're home and safe if you're out!
Life is good!!!
So... life is good. Can't complain that I get to hibernate with the hubby and make comfort food and stay home under the blanket drinking hot cocoa. Can't complain that my job lets me stay home when there is serious snow fall. Can't complain that I am still connected to the world and get to see how everyone else is coping with the snow through the interweb. Can't complain that my hubby bought new tires this year that rock the casbah and can drive through anything, and when there is a flurry in the forecast he insists that I take his car. Can't complain that hubby always takes care of the snow (sometimes before I even wake up) and warms up the car for me if I have to go in. Can't complain that even though all this snow is a PAIN in the you-know-what, it is beautiful. Can't help but hum the song "It's a marshmallow world in the Winter", all day long.
Ciao peeps, keep looking for that silver lining, there is one in every cloud (even if it is frozen)!
I gotta tell you something....
13 is not a high number that should be associated with temperature.
Hope you have a snuggly day.
I gotta tell you something....
And I'm home again, and so freaking excited about it!!!
Hope you have a safe and warm day!
Weekend in the city
Today we are getting together again!
Hope you all have a great weekend.
I gotta tell you something....
Tons of it.
Love a good snow day.
Hubby is my hero and spent over two hours out there clearing out.
Have fun peeps.
- Why are vacation weeks always shorter than any other weeks of the year? I need a makeup week because I was sick for most of it.
- The days are getting longer everyday. I am REALLY happy about that. Even if it is only seconds at a time.
- Why is choosing your wife a game show?
- I am a sucker for lists; especially bulleted ones. Can you tell?
- The internet is both my best friend and my worst enemy.
- This year I resolve to not make any resolutions whatsoever. Oops.
- I don't really have much to talk about today but I wanted to post anyway.
- Today I thought I was wearing purple socks but they were brown and I couldn't stop thinking about it all day.
- I was just reading back to the resolutions that I made in September; I don't think I've done that bad.
- I am really looking forward to the next semester. I am only taking one class and will be home more nights a week. That means more cooking and more gymming... yay. Which also extends to the weekends because it means that I won't be doing homework all weekend every weekend. Yay.
- I will try to go to the gym tomorrow.
- I hate ironing. Really truly hate it.
- I love my hubby. For X-mas he bought me an instant camera. He knows what a dork I am about cameras (especially instant ones).
- I need a girl party. Favorites... those were the good old days.
We are getting there...
This week we painted the living room. Hubby did an awesome job skimming, sanding and priming all the walls. I came in at the end and helped him paint it all. We picked a deep blue as the color and I'm ecstatic about it. So excited. We are getting this house done, one room at a time.
The week went by pretty quickly otherwise, especially with this cold. I was miserable until the 30th and I still have some coughing and flemniness going on.
It has been nice to be home and not have to care about what time it was or what I was wearing. Today I went to visit Mom; we went for a long walk (because it is like 50 degrees out) and made some plans for my aunt's upcoming visit. Now I'm home and cleaning the office out a bit getting ready for my next class and other general life stuff... ya'know like ironing and putting clothes away and whatnot.
2011 is here and I am READY! Bring it on!