What a surreal couple of days.
Let's start with the gorgeous Friday we had last week. It was a beautiful day, especially because I left the office at noon to head over to carve pumpkins for my friends wedding the next day. It was around that time that they were predicting a terrible October storm. Yeah right. I surely didn't believe that we were going to be getting the 6-10 inches that they were predicting.
Saturday it started snowing at about noonish even though they predicted that it wouldn't start until 4 or 5 pm. Hubby and I were getting ready to head to the costume party/wedding of the century during the storm of the century. Nothing was gonna stop us from that wedding and nothing did. There were already branches down by the time we got there around 5:30pm, but still I didn't believe that it would get much worse. Boy was I wrong.
We didn't care much about the snow coming down outside because we were having a great time at the wedding. I couldn't get over the creative costumes; everyone from PeeWee Herman and Ms. Yvonne to Edward Scissorhands was there. There were pirates, evile clowns, cowboys, Kermit and Miss Piggy. Wow. Everyone had a great time and the wedding was so beautiful. There were blessings and songs and readings. Best part is that two of the most wonderful humans on earth are married and I was there to witness it. Makes me proud to be in state that recognizes same sex marriage.
Around 11:30 we decided to brave the weather and head home. We danced, we drank (not a lot considering the drive home) and now it was time to get going. We got to the car and headed right out into the night. It was still near white out conditions as we drove and there were lines and trees down everywhere. We go about 1/3 of the way home and hubby realized that he dropped his glasses in the parking lot and we had to head back. I was so glad that we were able to find them in the already 6 inches of slushy snow.
We made our way slowly home and were discouraged by the street after street of darkness. There were trees down, streets blocked and the snow was still coming down so hard. We got about 3/4 of a mile from home and could see the light at the corner of our street shining like a beacon in the night. We had power and could not believe our luck. We were howling with happiness. Once inside and still hyped up from the ride home we decided to switch on the boob tube and try to catch some weather or news. To our dismay the cable was out.
We spent all day Sunday clearing the drive and walk ways and being so happy that we never lost power. After listening to the radio we realized the extent of the power outages and literal devastation to the area. We hopped in the car and saw some of our neighboring streets and realized how lucky we really were.
We lived without cable/ internet and phone for the past 3 days and couldn't care less considering we had heat and hot water and power. The cable just came on and is allowing me to tell you all this.
Hubby has no school until Monday and I was closed til tomorrow. Whoa, what a storm.


1 comment:

Amanda said...

craaaazy storm - just got my power back a couple of hours ago!