Calliope Viola Campbell

Wow is really all I can say. She has arrived! And what an arrival she made.

(DISCLAIMER- I am recounting my labor and delivery and some of it is gross and TMI)
On Wednesday morning at about 3am I woke up to use the bathroom. I was feeling lots of pressure, but neither of those things were strange or out of the ordinary. When I got to the toilet there was a huge gush of water before I could even get started. It being 3am and me not quite having my wits about me I wasn't sure if my water had really broken or not. I went back into the bedroom and asked my husband if he would get up and take a look and tell me what he thought. Even now when I write that I'm not really sure what better he would have known than me. But as we walked back to the bathroom there was another huge gush of water that confirmed my original suspicion. So first of all let me say that my water breaking was the funniest most comical things that has ever happened to me. It was nothing like the movies or TV shows because for me it didn't just drop in one big gush and was over. My water kept spilling for like 15 minutes, even in the shower, so the whole time I was laughing my ass off. The funniest part was my hubby, he kept saying ok, let's go to the hospital and I was busy trying not to get water everywhere I went. I had to dictate to him everything I needed from one spot because I wasn't interested in having a trail of water all over my house. 
We left for the hospital immediately and started the long labor. Right away they put me on pitocin to jumpstart contractions. That was the deal all day long. My body was just not responding and they had to give me the maximum possible. So around 5 or 6 pm I got an epidural thinking that things were getting going and that the baby would be coming soon. Not so much! The epidural slowed things down a bit and we didn't make any progress until 10pm. By then I was fully dilated and ready to push even though little lady's head was still not completely there. I didn't care, it felt better to push through it than to wait. So I pushed for about two hours and little lady arrived at 12:31 am on Thursday morning. She weighed 8lbs 5 oz and was 19 1/2 inches long. While everyone was gushing over the baby I wasn't feeling well. The pitocin worked for my labor but was not working on getting the placenta out. The doctor was having some difficulty and I was losing lots of blood. My BP dropped and I was feeling terrible. My doctor was a rock star and pushed on my belly to get the placenta to come out and my uterus to start contracting. The rest of my visit in the hospital was awesome, lots of cuddles with my little lady. 
She is perfect.
Today she is already a week old and it took me that long to sit down and write this post. Whoa. This is not gonna be easy. 
Ciao, more soon.


Unknown said...

I can't congratulate you enough on your beautiful little girl! I can't wait to see you both, XOXO

Amanda said...

She is an absolute doll. Congratulations again!