5.31.2009

Lazy weekend

Not much to report over the weekend. Relaxed and hung out at home... A LOT. Feeling kinda crummy and homebody-ish... ya know.
Today hubby and I went to Mom's for lunch and had a great time hanging with them. We had lofty plans to go to the movies but I really just wasn't up for it. I slept really late this morning and felt the afternoon yawns coming on! :)
Next couple of weeks are pretty quiet... then hubby is home from school for the SUMMER. AGH! Just kidding. Looking forward to it. We are already planning hikes and bike rides and maybe a road trip... We'll see what happens.
No new pictures to post... :( Don't be sad... I'll work on it for the next week or so.
I thought about photographing the frozen yogurt that I just made but it would be a picture of white liquid in a bowl and then the ice cream machine churning. I will be sure to take a picture of me enjoying the yogurt and post that... :) In the meantime I will tell you how I made it...

Vanilla Honey Frozen Yogurt
2 cups of plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups of light cream
2/3 sugar (or honey)
2 tablespoons of vanilla extract

Start by lining a colander with wet paper towels or cheese cloth, then put the yogurt in it and put the colander in a bowl. The yogurt needs to drain all the excess liquid so you can add the cream and not make the liquid to thin. (hope that makes sense) Put the whole thing in the fridge to drain; will take 2 or so hours.
I should have started out by saying that you HAVE TO HAVE an ice cream machine. The bowl of it should be frozen. I keep mine in the freezer all the time so that on days like today when I decide at the last possible second (because the whole process takes a couple of hours) at least I don't have to wait for the bowl to freeze.
When the yogurt seems pretty thick (almost soft cheese like) take it out and transfer to a bowl, add the sugar and whisk until dissolved (unless you use the honey, than mix until well incorporated). Add the cream and vanilla and mix until ... well mixed.
Bring out that frozen bowl, set up the machine and start it then add the mixture. Should take about 20 or so minutes until soft serve consistency, put into a freezer safe container and put in the freezer. If you want to add a mix-in... wait until semi-frozen and then add whatever you want and let the machine mix it in before you finish. You can eat it at the soft serve consistency but it melts so fast. Best to freeze for a couple of hours or until it is calling to you! Enjoy.
I super duper love the tang of the honey and yogurt in this dessert. So delicious. Today I used greek yogurt and yummy native raw honey from a friend.

Ok peeps... that is all for now.

Ciao
S

No comments: